Sunday 28 February 2016

Saddle fitters and show jumping

We had a quiet start to the week following Lexi's girth rub. Few days lunging and an extra visit from Ruth, my equine body worker and sponsor after I attempted and failed to get Lexi loading in a trailer - She was very good and went right in, then panicked and thrashed about. Several times.

I'm so paranoid about her event next week that the last thing I wanted was to not ride her for a few days due to the girth rub, get on and find her sore, then Ruth not be able to make it for a few days, then the days off needed after physio...meaning no event.

That and apparently I like spending money. So she came Wednesday and she was a tiny bit sore but nothing major.

Then we had the saddle fitter, Sarah Stevens, on Thursday. This was fun. I do not recommend her to anyone.

I don't doubt her capabilities as a saddle fitter BUT she proceeded to make me feel like a pile of crap that my saddles hadn't been checked for 2 years (Sorry but when my mother was on her deathbed, saddles were the last thing on my mind, then dealing with my ponies being put to sleep, finding somewhere to live, revamping my business to be able to afford two horses, starting studying, ect ect ect, getting a saddle fitter out when the horses were going beautifully was just not a priority).

She refused to put a saddle on Lexi as she came up to her, PRODDED her in the back, and when my COLD BACKED SENSITIVE mare flinched, proclaimed her to be terribly sore and in no way fit to be ridden. She then went onto another rant that Lexi needs to gain 40kg of fat in order to build top line (come again? Last time  I checked, fat does not turn into muscle) and went on to make many more personal remarks about their condition, welfare, so on and so forth. I stupidly let her take my jump saddle for reflocking, then in the morning I decided I wanted nothing more to do with her. So I sacked her, and had to drive an hour yesterday to pick up my saddle. I have someone different coming next Friday as this one said my jump saddle wasn't great on Lexi (and I have no issues regarding her expertise regarding saddles - just the rudeness and total disregard to my opinion as the horse's owner).

She also had a truck full of jump saddles and refused to show me any, because she couldn't tell me 100% whether the saddle fits without me riding...which I totally understand BUT if she could rule out my Albion by popping it on her back for 2 seconds...we could of ruled out other saddles and narrowed it down, allowing me to do some research at home.

ANYWAY.

I schooled my terribly sore, crippled horse for 40 minutes on Friday and she was wonderful, really swinging from behind, it was delicious. Squirrel very enthusiastically did some canter work.

Saturday Lexi did canter work (felt fabulous) and I let my friend take  Squirrel to a jumping clinic as her horse is a little poorly. She also came and jumped him in the 80cm today and he was lovely and really looked after her for 1 pole down.

Lexi? I could not fault her. She was a little buzzy when I got on but settled quickly and jumped beautiful double clears in both rounds. I couldn't be more pleased. I went round the houses in the 80cm jump off, as it was that or a very nasty turn to a double and I just didn't want to ask that of her, but she really took me into it, didn't hesitate or roll a pole.

The 90cm was very up to height but she just ate it up and I have a VERY cheesy photo of me grinning my head off.

I've got a photo and videos which I'll post when my phone is feeling a bit more co-operative.

I'm thrilled to bits with her and feel its really set us up for our first BE event next Sunday. PSYCHED!!!

I'm so proud of her, she's really grown up over the last year and its so exciting that after two and a half years of slowly waiting for her to mature, we can finally start doing what I bought her for. I'm so excited to see what the future brings for this little mare.

No comments:

Post a Comment