Wednesday 10 February 2016

Arena eventing and life is against me

So last Friday I tested out boxing to a new place to go cantering. SUCCESS.
 
Even with all the rain we had, the going was still decent.
 
We did two 4 minute sets, then I called it a day as he felt a bit tired coming up the hill the last time. I want him SUPER fit so I hope to build this up to 3 5 minute sets. It will be easier when the ground is drier as I can use more of the hill - at the moment its a bit tricky as don't want to chew up the ground too much.
 
On the way back  I decided to pop him onto the verge along side the track to have a little canter home. I heard a clink and my heart sank. I jumped off and yes...he'd pulled a shoe. And the other one was only on by half a nail. Despite being in over reach boots. His feet suck when it gets and stays this wet.
 
4pm on a Friday and we were due to leave for Arena eventing at 8am the next day. My farrier was away. Luckily I managed to get hold of someone who came and stuck his shoe back on and sorted the other. Thank god!
 
 
Saturday dawned wet and windy windy windy. It was crazy weather! We decided to take the back roads and still got there with plenty of time to spare.
 
My friend jumped a cracking round in the 70cm and nailed it, only 2 seconds off the optimum time! She went on to win which was a fantastic achievement, with her horse having only been to three shows in the last 3 years or so!!
 
I did the 80cm on Squirrel - I was meant to take Lexi but given back issues, I subbed him and I didn't want to wait for the later class. He was a little offended and went through two fences - the second part of a double and the second 'xc' fence. Once we went through the water and up the steps on the xc 'phase' he went Weeee! This is FUN! Zooooom.
 
It was great fun and we finished  3 seconds off the optimum time to come 4th.
 
Squirrel had his hock injections today so he's confined to 2 days box rest then 10 days in a small pen...He has an awful habit of jumping out of small pens so we will see how it goes.
 
I decided to move his first event back from Tweseldown to Swalcliffe as didn't realise he would need 12 days off...it also means I can run him and Lexi on the same day as the open is the same day as the 80 so saves me some fuel money...and gives me a day off the week before.
 
My AMAZING physio and sponsor, Ruth Mawer came out the day after returning from Iceland on a day off to treat Lexi after she still tried to put me on the floor. This time it was her shoulder/neck. Pleased its not the same thing recurring and just bad luck it all happened so close together. I'll be back on board on Friday then maybe..maybe...we can crack on. Its 25 days til Aston le Walls so we can't lose anymore time or I'll have to withdraw.
 
Speaking of which....My lorry (Susie) has been making a mysterious ticking noise when I've been accelerating lately. I arranged for a guy to come see her on Tuesday but he never turned up. I went to move her today so my friend could access her trailer and....she was dead. Sigh. I've arranged for someone to come see her tomorrow so hopefully we can get her fixed and on the road ASAP!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment