Saturday 13 February 2016

Back in business!

So after her second treatment with Ruth, Lexi had a few days off before I popped back on yesterday.

I went for a lovely steady ride for about an hour and 15 minutes with a fair few hills and she was just lovely.

The real test to see how she was feeling today, when  I schooled her. She was just delicious. Lovely and soft in walk and trot although falling in through her left shoulder than she has been recently. A few leg yields sorted that out, then I popped into canter.

At first it was a little downhill and reluctant and she humped her back a little, but as I worked her through it she must of realised it didn't hurt and sat more underneath herself. I did some long and low work which I've neglected with her and was pleased to see she was stretching down and out into the contact - she has the inclination to come up and behind the bit a little at times.

I didn't push her too hard today but got a lovely few moments of elevation in her trot although they only lasted for a stride or so. At times, before her time off, we were able to keep that trot for a little while and as she gets stronger I'm sure it'll come!

I finished off attempting counter canter which she did a lovely job of, and really got her up off the forehand. Right rein was better than left which surprised me as left is her better rein but she didn't do a bad job at all! Our canter transitions were smoother and rounder, and she was listening to my seat far better than she has so far, so I finished with a big smile!

I'll school her again tomorrow and focus a bit more on her lateral work and start to ask for some medium steps in trot - at the moment she thinks I mean canter but when I do get a step of medium...wow!

Squirrel went out in his pen and was stood shivering after a couple of hours so I decided to leave them in for the rest of the day. I've never been in the habit of keeping them in when its wet, but my fields are unbelievably waterlogged and there was a nasty cold sleety rain so I figured they'd be happier in.

22 days til Aston le walls and I cannot wait!!!!

I've also just signed up for an online assessment through the Active Rider programme. They will assess my posture/movement/riding and give me a personalised plan on what to work for. If that goes well, I might do their 12 week programme....if I want any chance of NOT falling off this mare over bigger courses, I need to seriously improve my stability.

No comments:

Post a Comment