Sunday 7 February 2016

Final Lexi update

Soooo we got to the new year.

We had some lessons and Warren tried to convince me to sell her to the Americans as they're looking for young horses for the team. And very seriously.

I declined and he simply said "Well, that's the best horse you'll ever have."

He ADORES her. He's suggested buying her more than once.
He almost made me cry once when he said "You want to do grand prix dressage? That'll do it. You want to jump 1.60s? That'll do it. You want to go 4*? That'll do it."

And Warren doesn't exactly do compliments. Generally when he sees me ride, he sighs. A lot. And looks constipated. I mean, maybe he is, but I think my riding just hurts his eyes.

I decided to take her for some show jumping in the rain. Absolutely pouring rain. As in, my phone drowned from the inside pocket of my coat rain. But I really wanted to go and I figured it was good for her to jump in rain.

The classes were tiny so I missed my first class so went straight into the 85cm. She jumped the most lovely double clear and won it!! Then I decided to pop her into the 95cm as weren't many people there. I've only jumped her about 2 single fences that size so I wasn't sure how she'd be.

She took it in her stride,  I held her a bit into the double and she exploded over the first and stopped at the second. The distance was short and she just didn't have space to jump out. She figured it out and popped through lovely the second time anyway and finished the course clear to come second.

Good pony!
 
she was so cross with me though. This was her expression all day. I HATE YOU STUPID HUMAN
 
Then we went and did some dressage. In my first test she was silly and spooky but still managed to get 72% and 4th (kind judge!)
 
I worked her until she was on her KNEES after that. When she gets tense and spooky she won't bend and its just horrible. So I worked her and worked her and worked her and the second test was far better. Still a little spooky but hey she needs miles. Plus I've found she's WAY better with ears on and it was indoor dressage so I couldn't use them.
We scored 65% and won!
 
 
We also did some bigger jumping at home....


 
Oh she is so lovely. And so talented yum yum.
 
Unfortunately then she broke. I got on for some schooling and she was not a happy pony. Just felt odd. Then started bucking. Then started bucking bigger. So I jumped off and called my physio. Unfortunately she couldn't make it for about 10 day so Lexi had a little holiday. When she came, we found she was mega sore, poor pony.
 
So a couple more days off then back to work. So I thought. She pinned her ears back when  I girthed her up which surprised me. My micklem also arrived so I spent ages fitting it.
What are you doing Stupid Human?
 
Unfortunately she HATES it. I tried it on Saturday in the pouring rain and she was just yuck. Leaning, heavy, not bending at all. Grim. It was pouring with rain so I gave up.
 
Tried again today and she was still gross. Also sticking her tongue out again which is an old habit which had disappeared. Then I went into canter and she threw the most enormous buck. Hmmm.
 
I jumped off and popped her back in the grackle. Vola! Walk and trot were lovely. Light, on the contact, bendy, more impulsion. Lovely. Went back into canter.
 
Buck buck buck. Sigh. Physio needs to come back. She did say when she treated her to see how she went as she was very sore and may need a follow up. And this mare lets me know when she's not comfy!
 
So we're sitting tight, waiting for an appointment. Bit frustrating, she's entered for her first BE event and I have a lot of prep work to do so hopefully Ruth can come soon and fix her.
 
She is inclined to make herself sore quite easily - she's a little long in the back, has this insane lovely movement but is taking FOREVER to build muscle so doesn't have much to support it.
 
Sigh. Horses!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment