Saturday 20 February 2016

Cross country schooling and The Great Escape

The other day, my horses partook in what was clearly a pre-planned conspiracy to escape and create carnage around the yard.

 
 
Yes. That is their bottoms as they make a bid for freedom.
 
 
Squirrel has been confined to a small pen for 10 days after his hock injections. He wasn't able to go out a couple of times because it was frozen and the pen in the ground is pretty wet so it was a death trap. That day, I decided to drop him off in his pen on my way to put Lexi out.
 
 
I knew it was a bad idea but it seemed so simple, and my horses are relatively well behaved and well mannered, are they not? Apparently not.
 
 
I popped Squirrel in and just as I was shutting the gate, he galloped out, Lexi went with him, all ther way to the bottom of the turnout. I trek for 10 minutes and grab them, shove Squirrel back in his pen, shout at him for being so ignorant and not backing up so I could shut the pen, take off his headcollar.
 
He wanders up to the tape. He stops with his chest touching the tape. He looks at me, straight in the eye. Then sits back on his haunches and launches from 0-gallop, straight THROUGH the tape, snapping a wooden post and trailing tape everywhere. Lexi is going beserk on the spot so I decide to chuck her out then go retrieve Squirrel who was very much in the dog house at this stage.
 
Another 10 minute trek whilst being about half an hour late for work at this stage. As I approach him, he looks at me again in his obstinate way then plonked into a puddle and rolled. Got up, turned around, did it again. Bastard.
 
 
So he's been in his stable ever since. I tried to lead him out for a pick of grass today but that was Very  Exciting and he squealed and almost beheaded me so. Nope. He can stay in until Monday.
 
In other news, I managed to borrow a lorry to take Lexi for a much needed XC schooling session at Tweseldown. What can I say? She was phenomenal!! She got a bit cross by the end, and I found her girth rub got quite sore (she's having a day off then a few days lunging now to let it heal properly) so she was even more honest and incredible than  I first thought.
 
She's just...amazing cross country. She's so so brave and clever, she just figures it all out and delivers, no matter what I ask of her. My only issue is in between fences I struggle to get her back and have much steering so may need to think about a change of bit (she's in a straight bar happymouth snaffle at the moment!) Although I think its more a question of balance and needing to teach her quicker reactions, so that's our homework for now. I was brave enough to jump some BE100 fences and god she felt amazing. Also perfectly happy to go through the water, steps up, steps down, huge nasty ditches with water in the bottom...nothing was an issue.
 




 
I'm thrilled with her, she's feeling so grown up and just...wow cross country. She's so intelligent about it and so brave its the most incredible feeling.
 
Sadly doesn't look like we'll get to practise any more dressage before Aston-le-walls but lets hope (in vain I expect...) that we get the lorry back in time for SJ next Sunday.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment