Thursday 17 March 2016

The ups and downs of being a mare owner

Mares!!

I had the most delightful schooling session yesterday. We nailed shoulder in both ways...we nailed haunches in both ways....we got some lovely walk to canter strike offs...a million square halts....She was just gorgeous, she was pumping away behind, swinging through her back, soft as butter.

Then we took Squirrel and Lexi to Boomerang for some XC practise today.

Okay to be fair I totally blame myself...mostly....The first fence I did I stupidly came through some bushes, didn't really know what I find the other day and attempted the point and kick technique. I forget although Mare has been SUPERB lately....she is infact still quite green, and especially to begin with...she needs some support.

So from the bushes emerged a decent rolltop. Mare tried...then with lack of jockey support, chickened out. Unfortunately one front leg was already over at this stage so we had a hell of a lot of fun getting back, and we were both rather shaken. Me a bit worried...her a little worried...not the best combination. Popped some easy fences and all was fine...so I tried a small but tricky corner and the same happened.

Then we had to reattempt to jump it about 50 times with me basically saying err no I don't fancy it...so she ran out...Eventually with lots of help from my lovely friend (who shares Squirrel) we got over it. We could jump this corner 3 ways on each rein....and she had a naughty (naughty at this point - she had a real mare face on) run out each way...but eventually jumped it beautifully. We had a repeat first time stop at a couple of other fences which she should of found simple and some mare beating pursued...Eventually though she went beautifully, and at the end I went back and jumped all the fences we had issues with again, and she went boldly, straight and well.

On the plus side, we did jump 2 rather large corner brush fences on a curve which I wouldn't expect to see at an event below novice level and she did really jump rather beautifully most of the time.

Lessons learnt
  • Warm up better - I had a crappy canter round and called it good
  • Remember her experience level...she needs riding...just because she's often as bold as brass it doesn't mean she doesn't need you there
  • Don't ride like a pleb

Basically sums it up. Tomorrow is my last day of work before NINE whole days off. God I can't remember when I last did that!!

And roll on Swalcliffe on Sunday with both horses eek

No comments:

Post a Comment