Saturday 26 March 2016

Snowball Farm Eventer trial

Unfortunately Lexi wasn't able to have her scan on Thursday as a couple of emergencies came in and the cardiologist was needed in theatre until early evening.

They're rescheduled for next Tuesday so fingers crossed we don't find anything awful.

Gladly, the vet okayed me to take her to the eventer trial I entered for last weekend in hope that she would be okay to go (desperately wanted an  XC outing before portman 90!).

Yesterday was my birthday and I had some lovely presents including a book of 101 dressage exercises, which  I tested out on Lexi. Just tried some basic stuff including really lengthening and shortening her trot which got her swinging beautifully and starting to ask her to do some turns on the haunches - that was interesting but she managed it, and she's a sponge so next time I ask her I expect she'll of got it. Shoulder in in trot is getting there too although I neglected to ask for haunches in. Her laterial work is a real priority at the moment to get her stronger and working straighter.

So today I was entered for the 80cm SJ and 90cm XC - was a little worried about the xc as we didn't have the greatest time at boomerang and that's our biggest XC course to date...however I didn't fancy 70cm SJ so figured we would wing it and it would set us up well for Portman or I would know it was too soon.

Why did I worry?!

We had a very hasty warm up - we tacked up leisurely as they were running 20 minutes behind on the previous class, only to get on to find out we were now on time so my warm up was a hasty 10 minutes.

She was pretty sticky in the show jumping but went clear...and we went over to the XC.  It was a short course which was a shame but also a nice taster for her..

One was a pretty up to height roll top and two was something I forgot about..She was a little hesitant but I kept my leg there and she was fine. Then went down a slippy slope to a fairly decent step up which we ground to a bit of a halt infront of but I kept my leg on and she popped up, then over a log with a little drop on the landing which she jumped nicely.

After that it all clicked, she bounded over the tyres just down the slope and settled into her stride. Hanging log before the water was no problem, she LEAPT into the water which took me by surprise as so far she's always slowed down to look and I promptly lost both my stirrups. I failed to try and slow down to regain said stirrups and thought I would bounce straight off (her canter really is enormous...plus water...excellent) but managed to get them back before the fence on the way out of the water. Final two fences she jumped very boldly and forwards.

We had 3.4 time faults (I blame the water incident) and ended up 4th which was lovely, but mostly I am so pleased with how her confidence developed throughout the course. She really feels like a power rocket and I can't wait to build that confidence.

I'm fairly sure the scans are just so we can keep an eye on it - from what they said its just something that needs to be monitored and over time may cause her heart to change shape and could lead to an early retirement given she's so young. On the other hand, it may disappear. Given what I'm aiming to do with her, though, its important we monitor it carefully and know exactly what we're dealing with.

I had to try very hard not to buy a million photos, but this one sums up how she was jumping by the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment