Tuesday 23 June 2015

Back in business!

Hopefully going to get this blog going a bit more consistently now.

Quick low down of the last few months;
  • Went to Munstead, had a disaster with several stops
  • Went to Elmwood, great dressage, great SJ, two stops xc. Lexi also went and did a brilliant first event apart from an upset at the water
  • Had his hocks treated with steroids and tildren; hello new horse!
  • Went to Mattingly unaffiliated and jumped a great double clear to finish 7th

So, I've had a chat with my trainer and we have plans...big ones...Called Aldon 1*

I've decided to throw the book at it.

In the long term, I'm going to struggle to keep Squirrel BE eventing sound. The tildren is £900 a pop and by the end of the season he'll of had 3 treatments. Next year  Lexi will be doing more, and just the time and expense of two horses competing affiliated is difficult.

So this is the last year I'll be competing Squirrel BE. If he makes it to Aldon, he'll never outdo that. If he doesn't, then he never will. There's no point really in me competing him in BE100s as he has to do the opens so can't do qualifiers ect, I may as well save a bit of money and stress and play with him unaffiliated at a lower level where his hocks can cope without as much help.

So I'm giving it everything I've got.
I've changed his diet, put him on every supplement known to man kind, weekly lessons, extra physio and chiro. Magnet hock boots, daily massages from my equissage pad...

The buck doesn't stop with him though.
I'm having a few hypnosis sessions (first one today!) to help with my mental block regarding novice and sports psychotherapy. I'm focusing on my own health; clean eating, running so I don't end up dying after fence 4 cross country, lunge lessons, a special equestrian athlete training plan to make me stronger and more balanced, enough sleep, sports massage, chiro....everything

My theory being; if we don't make it, at least I tried as hard as I possibly can. And if I get the opportunity to ride this horse in top hat and tails, that will be a dream come true.


I think it will be very interesting to see the results of this so I'm going to blog carefully and consistently to observe what works and what doesn't make much difference.

My biggest obstacles are hours in the day but hey ho.


In other news, I now part own a once feral black welsh cob who is being produced for sale. We've had a few hiccups along the way, but he's now ticking along nicely.  I've also passed my HGV so the sky is the limit! Now I ought to stop chatting and get on with things..

No comments:

Post a Comment