Saturday 14 September 2013

Things might not be too tragic just yet


Well Squirrel is home now. I'm so pleased, even though I was visiting him daily at the vets, it broke my heart leaving him there.

He is having a bone scan next Wednesday. They think its sacroiliac, probably arthritis. So I guess its a good thing as we haven't medicated this yet. However I'm struggling a little. I'm wondering if it's getting to the point now where I should say enough is enough, no more serious competing for us.

At one point I need to make that decision. At one point it won't be fair to keep pumping drugs into him to keep competing, but when do you know? I mean obviously he will be treated either way - I won't leave him in pain! But at one point I need to say, ok, lets just play a little at a lower level. Then at one point I need to say, ok lets just hack around a bit. Then at one point, I need to say, ok, you've done enough, lets retire you. And eventually I will have to make the decision to let him go. I don't know how I will cope when that day comes. I really don't.

Sorry, got a bit side tracked!

So how DO you know? Any thoughts? Apart from this issue, he seems really well. He looks absolutely fantastic, not a day over 8 (although obviously 15 isn't that old). His coat gleams, he's very bright. He's turning into a hooligan (seriously need to be stricter with him...) and certainly doesn't look like he is feeling past his peak. Nor does he feel it to be ridden.

But I don't want to compete him seriously for longer than I should in his best interests. He usually loves it, although lately obviously not, and he hasn't been too keen to load either which I suppose is either it hurts to go up the ramp or he knows wherever he will go, he'll hurt, or he's saying he's had enough. I guess I'll have to see.

I hope we get another season. It's too soon. I wish I got him 10 years ago; there will never be another horse like him.

One of my clients asked me what he was like the other day. She was very surprised when I said "Oh he's an angel!"

I mean, how many horses are really like him??

He can be ridden by a novice. He will do gymkhana games, beach rides, sponsored rides without getting silly (just a little strong). He is an absolute dope to handle. Generally unflappable. Would never dream of rearing or spinning or putting you on the floor. He is genuine, kind, honest. He's got a sense of humour and will give you cuddles all day long. Yet he will jump 1.30 courses, can make novice XC feel as easy as breathing. Taken me from barely getting round 2 foot 3 to novice BE in 2 years. Made so many dreams come true - competing BSJA, competing BE, competing Novice, winning at Cricklands championships, not only winning their big derby show but winning it in 6 inches of mud with a clear all the way. All with one eye too. He's shown me horses are fun again. He's led me to change my life completely. I was headed for university when he came into my life. It all changed because of him. He's my guardian angel.

I'm sorry. This week has really intensified how much he means to me. I'm a bit of a sap! He's a real once in a lifetime horse, and I would give ANYTHING to make our working lives longer. Obviously I will treasure and enjoy every moment regardless. I just want longer to fulfil my dreams with him.

I wanted to compete him internationally. I wanted to complete an intermediate. Still do. But where do I cap it? Do I try and do a season consistently at novice then say, right that's it, lets stop. Or if he gets as consistent at novice as he is at BE100 (which I fully believe could happen if he stays physically sound), do I have a stab at intermediate? He is generally VERY consistent. Once he gets it, that's it. Onwards from there.

I don't know.

But here's a few photos of times where I knew, not thought, but knew, that I'm the luckiest person alive to have him.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
There are so many more..
 
Lacey has been doing well. I'm asking a bit more of her out hacking. She is very stiff to the right at the moment, so doing lots of leg yielding whilst we're out. Today I asked her to think about an outline when we were trotting. Unfortunately now we're back in a snaffle she is rather strong, but its important I don't hang on to her mouth so we have very little rhythm as I have to take a massive half halt, let her go and she speeds up very quickly, then another half halt ect. Only started that today so hopefully she'll catch onto the idea that its easier to just trot nicely quite soon lol...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jo fab equestrian blog! Why not come and post it at Haynet an equine blogging network for more to follow. Please visit www.hay-net.co.uk

    ReplyDelete