Monday 2 September 2013

Long time no blog!




 
I am so sorry for my absence! I have been ridiculously busy with 2 horses in work and work that I've barely had time to eat or sleep for approximately 2 months. Not to mention that at the last minute every day 'off' has ended up with me working one way or another! FGS.

I don't even know where to start. When did my absence start?

I'll update Squirrel first, then Lexi.

We had a bit of a fun weekend where Squirrel got the chance to have a go at some gymkarna games. He enjoyed this as did I! And got quite strong haha but he was lovely.

We also took him to the beach and I was able to complete a little dream about getting a horse right into the sea. He was a little worried about the surf but once we were passed the white foam he was great. I did later read the story about a pony drowning in Cornwall so not sure I'd go this far in again but he was a star!
 

 

















 
 Wilton Horse trials loomed on a hot day. In hindsight I wasn't feeling my best. I had been on the go 5am-8pm without as much as a lunch break all week and even if I wasn't acknowledging the effects, I sure was feeling them. Squirrel was feeling very lethargic.

My original warm up for the dressage didn't go to plan. We're changing the rules at home and it's taking a while for things to come together. Just before it was time to go in, I decided to ride him my more usual way and he went beautifully. Unfortunately as I trotted over to my ring he switched off. I tried to get him back with w-c transitions ect but nothing. The whole test felt stiff, resistant, lacklustre ect and I was a bit pissed off when I came out, quite frankly!

Fortunately the judge didn't think it was all too bad and gave me a 34, leaving me around halfway. I was pleased as genuinely felt we ought to get 40+.



 

Show jumping warm up was testing. Squirrel was just SO lazy and just not sharpening off my leg. The steward didn't help as they kept changing how people went into the ring. 1 minute it was numbers on the board, the next it was times, the next it was when people turned up. Then they forgot me despite me stood waiting to go in. By the time we got in, Squirrel was completely over cooked.

Luckily he woke up a little in the ring. I rode the first four terribly but then pulled myself together and finished with just 1 down.



 





I was exhausted after show jumping, and the xc was a testing track. We had skinny to a corner, 2 steps on a turn with a skinny at the bottom, a big double directly into water ect. I promptly sat and held and held into the first warm up fence WHY DO I DO THIS and he stopped.  That woke me up and I started riding a little.

First few fences on course were uneventful although Squirrel felt a little nappy on the gallop bits.
The first combination was a little hairy - 2 skinny houses with 3 strides on a tight curve, as he turned his entire head to the right, looking at something. With no left eye this is hairy! I got his attention in time and popped them nicely. Next was an enormous table which he flew. Next few fences were fine, then it was the skinny to the corner. Jumped through here straight as a die.

Nice gallop to a palisade then steady for the downwards steps. He tripped down the second - on reflection I don't think he saw it as it was a left turn. He was very very honest at the wide skinny at the bottom, I had no reins and he got SO deep with no impulsion but scrambled over it. He hit it hard and it upset him. He backed off the next few single fences a lot but got over them. Then it was the water.

Off a left handed turn and he never locked on. Stopped at the first part of the double. Hit it, then stopped at the second. I jumped the alternative and he cautiously trotted through the water. At this point I should of retired but 3 fences from home...Next was a jump into woods, he ran out and I carried on alone.




 

So that was that. I was pretty depressed given the amount of people there I knew. My old boss, my instructor, Squirrel's old owner were all there...

Anyway after a long chat with my instructor, we decided to keep him in the novice for west wilts as the xc there is normally quite nice.

About 10 days later I took him SJ and again had a pants day. He just was NOT infront of my leg. Even in the ring he didn't wake up as he usually does. We had a silly run out and a pole down but otherwise clear in the 1.10m. I took him home after as I was worried about him.

I had a vet out who took bloods (came back clear) and gave him a check over and he was very happy with him. So I took him xc schooling. For the most part he was very good, but did stop a few times at some skinnies, but jumped it all second time.

At this point I was wavering between determination that we WERE going to get through this, and also deep depths of depression.

Luckily my instructor was at West Wilts and was able to help me warm up. I was pleased with Squirrel's dressage. I didn't get a medium trot - he suddenly started breaking into canter instead, but to be honest I was fairly pleased he was moving off my leg even if it was into canter opposed to medium trot so hey ho. I got a 35 which I was very pleased with as I cantered 3 times in the medium trot and my canter trot canter transition, plus my final centre line were abmisal. In my opinion the overall test was far better so I was pleased.
 


 

Warren helped me warm up for my SJ and was SO helpful. He thinks the problems are due to a transition phase where I'm learning to ride with power rather than speed over fences. Sometimes Squirrel comes to a fence with no power and no speed, so of course he stops. Especially cross country where he is less likely to personally lock on to a fence and move towards it. The round was very messy, but effective, and we were clear. I was delighted as it was causing trouble.


 
 
Unfortunately that is where the good luck ended. Cross country set off ok although he certainly felt nappy, and completely distracted into fence 4- a big wide table, he stopped. Jumped it second time and the next fence, then ran out at each part of a very skinny log double. So that was that.




 
At this point I just wanted to give up. I feel I try so hard, harder than most people I know, yet I still can't get my perfectly capable horse around a novice track!

I spent a few days sulking. Later in the week I took Squirrel to a cross country ride - nothing much over 2 foot 6 but had a bit of a blast and enjoyed ourselves. I put him behind a friend's horse so he became very keen and strong. Much more like my boy! We had a relaxed week with a lot of hacking as I just wasn't feeling it, then gave him a pop at home. He was quite strong and enjoying himself, although I knew really we were back to using speed not power. Sigh!

I then took him to Boomerang the next day. Warren was going to school him xc for me, but I ended up having a lesson instead (almost left my hat at home!)

It was INCREDIBLY useful and interesting. We spent a lot of time trotting into little fences then really over riding the last couple of strides to sharpen him off my leg and use himself over the fence. After doing this for a bit he started really taking me into the fences. When we started jumping some bigger fences, he occasionally ducked out to the right. In a way it was positive that we had a few run outs as I was able to see the warning signs and what to do to correct it.

I understand everything Warren was saying I just hope I can put it into practise. He is very convinced that soon this will all click. He said there is nothing wrong with the horse, he is perfectly scopey and capable enough, and despite his age, full of running. I just need to get these pieces to click into place and hopefully it'll be onwards and upwards from there. I just hope I can put it into practise when it comes to a competition. I need to discuss my future competition plans with Warren. I really want to make this work and complete a novice before the end of the season, but we'll see.



Now Lexi. This little mare is made out of gold dust I swear. She is so pretty and sweet and lovely! She is backed and being ridden and has been a delight. She is hacking out alone and in company, remarkably unspookily. We've seen cars, vans, bikes, cows. The last two warranted a prance and a snort but that's all. I have done some very light schooling in w-t-c and she is so bouncy! Her canter is enormous.

We have had 1 small issue with the canter. The first time, she picked up the correct lead on both reins. When I next schooled her, she didn't on the left rein and unfortunately I became somewhat focused on this and kept asking for the canter. I confused her and where she doesn't fully understand the aid for canter, I gave her some big kicks and of course she bucked. So for the rest of the session we had a nice buck going into canter. Humph.

I tried again the next day and the first 50% of attempts had a buck involved, the second lot didn't. I now just do sitting trot, squeeze and ask vocally and she goes almost right away.











 
 


I took her to a show last week. Just in-hand, I did a riding horse/hunter/hack/sports horse class. She was very good. Took about 15 minutes to load on the way there but was an angel at the show. She grew about a hand and was a little fidgety but bribery with some treats worked. She did a beautiful trot up (although stopping was hard) and won her class! We got a lovely sash too.











 
However it took TWO HOURS to get her back on the lorry. We tried everything and eventually had to blind fold her and push her up the ramp.

Two days later, we got a IH guy called Mike from Equine Unity out. He helped us reschool Lacey and is excellent. It took him half an hour to get her on, and by the time he was finished, she was loading herself - you just had to aim. We've been practising and she is now as good as gold.

I'm sure we would of sorted it ourselves eventually,  but it would of taken a lot longer and I dare say the issue wouldn't be quite so 'fixed'. Perhaps a sledgehammer to crack a nut but it was worth it!

She is going to another show tomorrow, then she is having a month off. I'm very excited about her, she is going to be very special I think.

I'm running him HC in the be100 at Firle Place. Feels a bit depressing as that's where I was aiming for my 1* but that's life, then the be100 open at Goring. I'm not sure about our plans after that.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment