Thursday 4 July 2013

Tomorrow it is!

She arrives tomorrow!!! Last few days have been manic. Manically trying to get Squirrel to lose his holiday pounds (he retaliated by letting himself out of his field and into the very long, very lush grass next door), sorting out the field and new stable.

I have done loads but not getting very far!

I need to get them onto the long grass slowly so I can start killing weeds but its actually very lush and green underneath...and Squirrel seriously does not need more grass but I seriously need to get rid of these weeds! I will upload some photos tomorrow...

I have been manically poo picking (well 2 wheelbarrows a day but I need to double that over the weekend if I want to make any progress...) and its still a CESSPIT!!! Its disgusting. I have also rearranged the fencing, have fenced off the boggy bit (any ideas of any horse friendly plants that I could plant there that would soak up the moisture? Does such a thing exist?), double fenced the bit which joins to another field as some liveries are concerned that Lexi came from abroad a month ago...And also rigged up some fencing to keep them seperate for a few days as not sure what Squirrel thinks of mares and what Lexi thinks of geldings...

She'll spend a couple of days in first to be wormed as per yard rules before she goes out though.

I have reached a fail on the stable front. We didn't want to buy more rubber matting as Willow, bless her soul, is on borrowed time and we definately won't be buying another horse when she does go, so we were going to borrow some from my yard owner. Unfortunately, I found today that her rubber is very light and doesn't fit in the stable properly, so I need to go buy some tomorrow as I think it'll move. I'm not happy to stable her without as I use straw which seems to move a lot, and I also don't want to put her on a gigantic bed. I mean, my beds are huge (I'll take a photo ;) ) but not big enough in my opinion if there's no rubber underneath. Her legs are too pretty to spoil.

So tomorrow, I need to buy rubber matting, fit it, lay her bed and do her net and water. I also need to take Squirrel cantering which is a good 2 hour ride..I need to test his fitness as we're entered for Upton next Wednesday and I'm a bit worried. But then again, I'm always worried. I'm just working him pretty hard right now...yesterday and today he had a good schooling session then went for a hack afterwards. He's been very good schooling but a bit lazy as I havn't been wearing spurs so need to do that again I think. He just needs so much motivation to actually get going on the flat lol.


This morning I was greeted with a lovely sight. Lacey was sleeping in her field, with both Willow and Squirrel (although he's over the fence from them) standing guard. I thought this might of softened their relationship, but unfortunately when I let Lacey sniff him, she squealed her head off, and when I let Willow sniff him, he tried to bite her head off. For gods sake.

Willow appears to be the only horse Squirrel doesn't like. I'm not sure why. I hope its not a grey mare thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment