Friday 5 July 2013

Lexi is here!!

So excited and so busy!

She arrived at 3pm today :D Loaded like an angel, and travelled very quietly. She's settled in pretty well, she was a bit shy at first but already coming out of her shell.

She wasn't too keen on being wormed initially, so I bribed her with a carrot, then shoved the wormer in when she wasn't looking. She now refuses to eat carrots. Oops :S But it had to be done and I didn't want an arguement within 5 minutes.

I don't think she's ever been fed hay from a net before, as she didn't really understand it, so I had to give her a net with HUGE holes in before she ate from it. I gave her a little brush and picked her feet out. That needs practise. Front feet okay, but fidgety. She kicked out when I tried the back ones. She did do it after a bit of trying but definately needs work. It wasn't nastiness, more alarm I think? Needs lots of practise though as her feet need trimming next week...

Later I took her to the roundpen to let her stretch her legs. God I forgot just how nicely she moves. Her trot is INSANE! She took a bit of time to sort her legs out in canter but there's so much bounce! I was very impressed how calm she was, no bucking or sillyness. We had a pick of grass which she inhaled and then I settled her for the night. She's so pretty too!

I also took Squirrel cantering. I made a mistake going at 5pm. I need to ride LATE (as in 7pm+) or early for hacking at the moment as the flies were wretched. He felt very fit but I had to do a lot more cantering than I would of liked on the hard ground as he was just going ballistic with the flies, poor sod.

I'm going to give him a jump tomorrow. Lexi has to stay in for 48 hours as she's new and been wormed. I don't want to do too much with her this week, just need to let her get to know me and settle in.

I expect I'll let her loose in the round pen a couple of times a day, partly so I can drool over her action and partly to let her stretch her legs. I might take her for a walk up the track too. Lots of grooming and cuddles too.

Towards the end of next week I'll perhaps give her a little lunge, and start putting surcingales and things on her. It won't be completly new to her as she has been sat on but she does need the foundations put in place. I'm not setting a time limit on it, it'll happen as it happens.

I'll leave you with a picture of the pretty girl!



No comments:

Post a Comment