Sunday 2 June 2013

Abusy week ahead

Well lots has been going on behind the scenes at Team One Eye this week.

I have upped Squirrel's workload after the appearance of a bit of a grass belly (and double netted his hay, teehee) which involved a hard 2 hour hack today with a lot of canter work, including 4 laps of a huge sheep field on the side of a massive hill. I also have it in mind that Nunney International (our next Novice event) is deceptively hilly and I want to try to make the time this time.

Also, between showing Lacey's sharer new routes and my friend arriving back from 10 months in New Zealand who is a keen hacking buddy, Squirrel has had several days this week where he's done 30-40 minutes schooling or jumping followed by an hours hack so he is going to be fit!

Now I'm very happy and prepped with jumping the height at novice (well after a couple of months of jumping 1.20-1.30 courses at home I should be!) I'm stepping away from courses a bit and working on technique. Now Squirrel is a careful horse. I only tend to have fences down when I make a mistake, but he does like to use speed rather than power over fences, so doing lots of gridwork using poles and wide spreads to encourage him to use his backside more. He's also more inclined to have fences behind than infront (very rarely infront) so if anyone has any tips on how to improve this, I would be very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment