Friday 20 July 2018

Pet Plan and a break through?

Our next outing was the Petplan Area Festival. Never in my life did I think I would be competing in a dressage festival! But we qualified so I figured it would be rude not to!

The stress of my life situation had been getting to me and we didn't have a great session the day before. This coupled between not having ridden an elementary test for 4 months did make me rather nervous!

It was a warm day but I decided to press on with my warm up test as she needs the ring experience at this level - I stalked all the others and we have the grand total of 8 results at elementary, compared to everyone elses 40+!

She did a nice enough test in our warm up but the mediums were stuffy. I was pleased with 67% and third!

Our festival test was next to the flags and we had an almighty spook at them in the trot round. Thankfully I managed to get her attention back on myself and set off down the long centre line. She didn't quite open up enough in her first medium as had half an eye on the flags which flustered me so I went and did a circle in the wrong place. Standard!

However, the rest of the test was lovely. Her leg yields just happened, her second medium was better, her medium canters were good, I actually managed to collect her quickly again afterwards...I finished feeling very pleased. It was certainly her best test at this level and I was kicking myself for going wrong!

As it was, it was good enough for over 67% and we were in a qualifying position! It was a long, boring wait for the results, but we held on and stayed in 9th place despite some wonderful competitors. This earnt us a mounted prize giving and a ticket to the next round!




The following week we were back at Ascott under Wychwood. I had originally planned to do the 100 but decided to drop back to 90 as I had a couple of ideas up my sleeve for the xc and I wanted to feel confident myself.

Lexi did a lovely test to score 24.5 - 5 marks into the lead! 
I was very conscious of the hard ground in the show jumping so didn't warm up enough. I also had my head in the clouds and due to ground not riding very forwards. It wasn't the nicest of courses and after I yanked her into an oxer at fence 3 off a tight turn with no leg, Lexi had a cheeky run out and told me to actually ride!

So I did and she jumped the rest well, but 4 faults and 4 time was expensive.

Cross country....I had wondered whether I had simply been chasing her forward too much in previous outings and just letting the front end go completely. As a result, when she becomes spooky, I end up on her neck rather than sat behind and supporting. My aim was to go steady and really really hold her between my leg and hand.

Lexi set off okay and not particularly spooky. I really held her and she jumped well. This technique needs refining - I did get her in deep a few times so it wasn't as flowing as some previous rounds. However, when we came up to the water and she did a double take, I was able to sit behind her, leg on, held her in my hand and she jumped! Her confidence grew throughout the course and we finished clear within the time. 

The show jumping lost us the win and we came 6th but I couldn't be more pleased. Thats the first time in a long time where she's hesitated, backed off and then jumped. One swallow doesn't make a summer but maybe that's where i've been going wrong.

I pondered this as after her stops, I end up with her much more together between my hand and leg and after that she jumps really well.  So a new technique to play with! She's a funny mare, she's very sensitive and I just HAVE to get it right.

I'm now bowing out of eventing apart from my regionals until we've had some rain. Hopefully not a bad decision given we seem to be alternating events of stops and not stops!!! However, the ground is rock solid and her legs are important so I will save her for the big ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment