Thursday 30 June 2016

BCA and bucking

Sorry for the long delay in posting again...Slightly dodgy laptop makes it quite a big job to make a post with pictures!

So a few weeks ago I took Lexi to BCA 90.

She warmed up super and did what felt like a lovely test. A score of 34 showed we were still missing the marks so  I was a little disappointed.

Show jumping was on a lovely surface but a little trickier than some eventing courses. My mantra was FORWARDS since some soul searching has made me realise I still want to ride with the handbrake on.
 

 

 

 

 
She responded with a cracking clear, asking for the jumps to be bigger next time!
 
On to the cross country. There was quite a wait as they kept holding to do groundwork as it was getting pretty wet. I wasn't particularly concerned about anything on the course; it was fairly tame but had a bit of everything with corners, step up and down, open ditch ect. I also decided to use my watch since I was just in the running for a regional Q and I keep going too fast.
 
She stormed out the start gate, no hesitancy this time over the fist couple of fences.


She bounded over the corner, the ditch, the step up and down....Best run through the water we've had too



Even with my watch I only made it 2 seconds slow enough not to get too fast penalties. She just jumps so easily out of her rhythm that we make up a little too much time.  Plus she has a huge stride!


We finished 10th in the end as there were several equal and we were furthest from the optimum time, but her jumping is improving so much and her confidence was coming on in bounds. It seemed the dressage was the only thing to crack.


However the Thursday afterwards, the bucking was back.



I decided enough was enough and sent her for a work up.
X-rays showed no problems in her neck and back so we bone scanned her. This showed mild to moderate sacroiliac pain but vets weren't concerned this was enough.

A lameness workup showed on a small circle on the hard she was lame on her front fore. X-rays showed the angle of her pedal bone wasn't right and MRI showed some very minor inflammation of the navicular bone. This is a mix of her having a club foot and needing some corrective shoeing.

She was rescoped as due anyway which was clear, and tested for hind gut ulcers and glucose absorption which was all fine. Also scanned her hind suspensory ligaments which were fine.

Overall pretty positive but no concrete answer. I decided to go ahead and medicate her SI.

So now we have 4 days box rest. 2 weeks walk and trot hacking. 2 weeks walk and trot schooling and hacking. Then a month canter then start jumping again.

A bit depressing given we aren't 100% sure this is the cause but hopefully we can get it dealt with.

She's also on project fatten up as she dropped more weight (she didn't have any to lose in the first place) at the vets. Hopefully with the SI sorted, she might start developing some topline at last too.

She was very happy to see me when  I picked her up and we had a lovely cuddle with her grooming me (vets must of wondered what was happening as she was tickling my belly and I was in stitches! I'm so ticklish!). Her highness is now being pampered within in inch of her life with a full selection of forage; ultragrass, haylage and soaked hay to pick at whatever she fancies and 3 feeds a day. Plus every supplement I can find to help.

Now lets hope the insurance coughs up!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment