Wednesday 24 April 2013

BSJA 20th April & Riding and Road Safety & XC schooling 21st April

So was rather sad to get a text last Wednesday that Bovington was cancelled. I was a bit disappointed not to get a run, but to be honest, I don't find Bovington the most inspiring event, so I decided to put the weekend to good use! I quickly regestered us BSJA and went to Hartbury College on Saturday.
I havn't been before and one of the longest treks I have made for SJ but it was a lovely venue and an easy drive so will certainly be back! We went to jump to 1.05m and newcomers.

Typical me style, got there and decided the discovery looked plenty big enough thank you very much so was quaking a bit when I did my entries! Luckily I think the lower arena made it a bit deceptive as although the 1.05m looked a fair size, it was jumpable enough.

He went in and jumped a super double clear. I did 1 turn in the j/o but as it was fairly big I decided to keep it steady but we still wangled a 4th and some money I was pleased with my riding, I didn't miss once and he was in a lovely rhythm.






I took him back to the lorry quickly after for a drink as it was quite hot, walked the newcomers which didn't actually look too bad after the 1.05m although there was a fairly large yellow oxer to finish.

By the time I got him back to the warm up I only had 3 to go before me so it was a very hasty warm up and with only my mum with me, no one to do fences (she is terrified of warm ups) so poor pony had to go and jump 1.15m fences straight away for his warm up :s

but he was super in the ring again. (and warming up) Got our lovely rhythm. I got slightly (and I mean slightly, which is a big thing for me) close to a couple of fences, including the first part of the treble which he rubbed and had down, but I am majorly pleased. I didn't 'freeze' up, even on a couple of related distances where I suddenly had no idea what stride I was on, but just rode forwards instead.

So just 4 faults which being an eventer, I am more than happy with, it was a lovely confidence giving round - just what I needed! Also secretly quite pleased as it was a seperate jump off and I didn't fancy going into a NC jump off without it being two phase!










So very pleased with my super boy.


Then Sunday was a busy day as I had my riding and road safety exam. I wasn't looking forward to it to be honest, I hate exams! I need to do it though to continue with my BHS exams to become a BHSAI.


I arrived and was rather shot down by the owner when she asked what training I had done and I said none besides read the books. Anyway to cut a long story short, the theory was easy, the simulated road test seemed complicated and there wasn't enough room really to do all the checks you need to do, but I got through. The actual road bit was easy too! I rode a rather sweet little horse, albiet a bit lazy, but I'd rather have that in an exam so I can concentrate. Luckily I passed so that was a tick!


Then Monday afternoon we headed to Larkhill on a schooling day.
I wanted to prep for our step up to Novice at Borde Hill at the end of May so decided to jump round the novice track as a course.

After our successful SJ outing I wasn't HUGELY nervous, just a bit worried about the bank bounce rail as I walked it and just saw us having a rotational fall there

Sadly they had changed a couple of jumps, probs cos there was a hunter trial there not long ago, so the novice corner was gone and the big novice rail on top of the hill was gone. The first part of the combo at the second to last had been replaced by a little log, but I was still able to ride the same line to the big skinny brush which was the second part. Given corners are our strong point, I didn't really mind.

So anyway, I trotted down and warmed him up as I normally would. Then counted myself down from 10 and off I went

happily over the first


No more photos until near the end but I'll talk you through it as it was AWESOME ahah. Fence 2 was a house, where I got a bit nervous and held for a short one where I should of kicked for a good one but we made it. Got over the funky little weird log thing at the top of the hill nicely.

Next was a palisade thing which wanted jumping on an angle if you wanted to save time so I thought I would and it was fine. Next was 2 roll tops with bullfinch on top with 3 strides, had to jump the first on an angle though I could of taken a dog leg...but I went for the angle.

He was superb, understood it and away he went Then got close to a rolltop which was quite big - should of kicked! Jumped the BE100 corner beautifully, far better than at the event where he was so busy looking at the fence judge he turned his whole head to the right until about a stride out...and given he hasn't got a left eye that was quite hairy as he literially did not see it!

Then down the hill to the chair, I finally got my act together and rode forwards so had a lovely jump. Back up the hill and round the turn to the upright rail where I had to jump the BE100 one, as novice had turned into 2 foot 3, which he did beautifully. (Another 10cm wouldn't of made a difference there )

then it was the dreaded step, bounce, upright. I havn't jumped a bounce before xc and I think it was the biggest fence coming out of a bounce I'd done on him. But I rode it well if I may say so, I shortened him and got him bouncy, popped up the step and easily over the rail. I swear it felt so easy it was like I was watching a hat cam vid

Then we got a little onward bound and I started kicking when I should of been holding which resulted in a stride out at the box oxer thing with chalk on top. Sunken road was the one hairy moment, he was never gonna stop but it was a bit messy. I rode into the bottom of the first part, wiggled down the drop and back up the step so had to take a hard pull right to actually aim at the fence but he jumped it.

Jumped beautifully in the water - given last year he was always a bit spooky through water, the fact I hardly had to kick was awesome! and jumped out over the angled log/brush.


I kicked on and proceeded to take a whopping stride out at a rather large picnic table


and still cleared it with miles to spare


next was a brush with a ditch infront - I hate this kind of fence, never happened to me but I always worry I'll miss and they'll fall in the ditch but he's never worried about ditches and jumped it beautifully.


then the final combo. I was so proud of him here as with the brush on top it was a big old fence, it was angled so he was coming at it on his blind side (infact all the angles on this course were blind side) but he was as straight as a die, knew what I wanted and performed


didn't even touch the brush! An easy jump over the last and we were home and clear!!

I am SO proud of him. I swear he finished and said "I want them bigger next time!" I know Larkhill isn't the biggest novice but I felt there were a couple of questions. And the main thing is it gives me tonnes of confidence for when we do do a novice as I know we can get round one clear!

So a busy busy week which doesn't end there as tomorrow we're off to Cricklands in Wales for an unaffiliated SJ championship. I qualified in the winter and thought it would be fun to do something not so serious. Although I will miss eventing for the next month, I am really looking forward to it.

Our next outing afterwards is Tweseldown on the 19th, (I'm going on holiday in between yay!), then hopefully ram in a BSJA before novice at Borde Hill on the 27th! 

No comments:

Post a Comment