Friday 29 March 2013

A very quiet 10 days!

Sorry for the silence. All activity ground to a halt here when I rode Squirrel a week ago on Wednesday and he felt very odd, almost lame.

I jumped off, trotted him up, lunged on the hard ect and saw nothing. No heat, no swelling, no digital pulse. Being the paranoid mum I am, I wept and phoned the vet, diagnosing him with arthritus and navicular in my head.

Th vet couldn't find anything wrong. He passed the flexion tests with no concerns, but when we poked around at him, I realised his back and withers were VERY sore.
The next day the saddle fitter was due as he's developed a little rub on his back. Its turned out the flocking in my new in January albion close contact jump saddle had compacted very solidly and they needed to redo it.

So Squirrel had a lovely relaxing week until Tuesday when he had the dentist AND physio! Teeth were fine although he found it all a little worrying...Then Ruth, my sponsor and very trusted equine body worker came. He was VERY sore on a muscle which is classically the sign of poor saddle fit :( Poor boy! She ordered another 3 days off to let the muscles settle so its back to business tomorrow!

It did mean a cancelled lesson on Friday, my week off had NO riding (typical...his first week off due to injury and its my week off too!) and we were about to withdraw from Munstead...when we saw the very bad forecast. So we sat tight and luckily it cancelled, so we still get our refund.

So nothing exciting is happening at all, apart from me getting obese on easter eggs and no riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment